Sunday, August 9, 2009

Great student quote...

From one of my student papers, about an article by Barbara Smuts on male-female friendships in baboons...

"The article was very clear and not confusing, other than why someone would want to spend every day for 16 months watching baboons in Kenya."

Umm... my answer would probably be 1)because they are terrestrial and easy to see and follow and 2) because they're feces are WAY easier to collect. But I guess that doesn't apply to that study, considering that she wasn't collecting fecals, and probably wouldn't make any more sense to my student... I guess they just think that following monkeys around all day is weird... perhaps I need to remind students that watching monkeys is much like watching reality TV... only less cheesy and more scientifically important :)

No comments:

Post a Comment