Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving!



I have very mixed feelings about Thanksgiving. As someone who does not support genocide or turkey-icide, it's hard to get excited about a holiday that seems to support both. Nonetheless, I have A LOT to be thankful for this thanksgiving, and I'm feeling quite grateful for it all.

But first, this Thanksgiving, remember the Native Americans who lost lives, land, and loved ones due to colonization and American expansion. You might want to read Rethinking Thanksgiving if you get a chance.

Next, Positively Present has some great posts on Happiness and Gratitude and The Benefits of Being Grateful.

I have a lot too be thankful for this year. I've acquired some wonderful furry friends, as well as one scaly friend, and met a wonderful guy. I've had the joy of attending four good friends' wedding in the past 5 months, and they have been wonderful reunion with old friends. I've also successfully passed my candidacy exams and have received $20,000 from Wenner-Gren, which will make my dissertation research possible. Additionally, while it's been a while since I've been able to see my spiders in the wild, I've gotten to visit captive spiders at the Como Zoo and Cleveland Zoo.

Finally, check out Orangutans at the Cleveland Zoo enjoying pumpkin!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michelle! Here's my submission for tomorrow's 4SH.

    http://scienceblogs.com/aardvarchaeology/2009/11/current_archaeology_237.php

    I've lost your address due to a computer crash. Please write me so that I can pass stuff on to you.

    ReplyDelete